Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Persepolis

Currently reading: "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller
"The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller
"Bouclier Humain" by Hennebaut, Betaucourt, and Sellali
Next Up: "The Crimson Petal and the White" by Michael Faber

I finished reading "Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi a day or two after I finished The History of Love. It was really interesting, in that it is a memoir of a woman growing up in Iran during the revolution of the early 80's done as a graphic novel.

First of all, I love reading things that are new (or new to me), and I was excited by the use of the comic medium to tell the story of a life in the first place. I felt like that medium served this story, as it is telling the story of a child, partially through that child's eyes. But one shouldn't make the mistake of assuming that it's a light read because it's a comic. The story she tells is one of hardship and turmoil as well as hope and humor.

I'll admit to not knowing much about Iran at all. The words "Ayatollah Khoumeini" and "hostages" are ones I vaguely remember hearing a lot when I was young. That was all I knew about Iran. Shamefully, I don't know much more than that now....but I am grateful to this book for giving me a human insight into a world I'd never known.

And can I say that I LOVE this little girl! A little revolutionary! I would love to meet Ms. Satrapi someday...

I really loved how this story was told - how it was so full of humor, and child-like innocence....made the darker panels so much more powerful.

I would highly recommend this, whether you "like comic books" or not! :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

I read that Persepolis 2 is coming out soon. Been meaning to tell you.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

It's been out. I'm just waiting for the softcover....

Oh! And there's another one from the same author called "Embroideries" that just came out - about the women in her life, and the "gossip circles." That one looks cool, too...

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home